buildOn members are going to be out doing service honoring veterans this weekend through Monday in celebration of Veterans Day. Here’s where they’re going to be:
buildOn will be doing a Veterans Day clean up on Monday with Support Homeless Veterans, which runs support houses for veterans. Students will clean up the lot next to the South Philly support house, as well as the streets surrounding the house, with four of its residents. The veterans will talk to students about their life experiences, and there will be time for students to reflect on their service.
– New York’s biggest project is working with Stella & Dot stylists to renovate the PS 16 Wakefield school in the Bronx. The group will build a library, redecorate the cafeteria by painting murals on the walls, and beautify the outdoor and recess space.
– buildOn is partnering with Hunts Point Recreation Center in the Bronx to facilitate a Day of Remembrance on Monday. buildOn students will teach younger children about Veteran’s Day by creating awareness posters, developing short skits, and leading a Walk for Remembrance through the Hunts Point Community.
– Students are making cards for formerly homeless veterans and delivering them to Genesis Neighborhood Plaza Houses in East New York, Brooklyn, which supports single veterans, and veteran families contending with mental illness and chronic homelessness.
Students from three Bridgeport, Conn. high schools are participating in The Library of Congress’ Veteran History Project at Homes for the Brave on Monday. Students will use the interview kit provided by the Library of Congress to gather stories from the veterans to submit to the project. They’ll also cook a meal and eat dinner with the residents.
Staff has a big project Monday morning at St. Anthony’s Foundation, which serves the homeless in San Francisco’s Tenderloin neighborhood. Students will be serving meals at the dining hall, working in their Free Clothing Store, and helping out with the Salvation Army’s Meals That Heal program. A participant in the alcohol and drug rehabilitation program will talk about addiction and recovery with the students after service.
– Students will be presenting a collection of poems, speeches and songs honoring veterans at Northwest Levy Senior Center on Saturday. The activity is followed by lunch and dancing.
– A group of students is organizing a Veterans Day social at Belmont Cragin Senior Suites on Monday. They will play loteria, a Mexican bingo game, and talk to veterans about their experiences.
buildOn members who are in ROTC participated in the Detroit Veteran’s Day parade in downtown Detroit on November 3.