The U.S. faces a dropout crisis. At the current rate, nearly ⅓ of students starting high school in many large cities will not graduate – at a huge cost to themselves and society at large. buildOn works with students in many of the most challenged schools in these cities. Our youth service programs empower students to better their communities and cultivate the grit and determination needed for academic and personal success. That’s why 95% of buildOn students not only graduate but go on to college. Here’s why that’s so important:
buildOn is raising awareness of the Global Education Crisis and sharing stories of the lives of students we’ve empowered. We need your help to spread our message and empower more students:
- Share this infographic using the buttons at the bottom of this page.
- Follow buildOn on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. We’re using social media to share our stories.
- Once you’ve followed buildOn on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, share our messages with your friends and family to help raise awareness.
- Donate to support buildOn students. Any amount helps to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations.
- U.S. Department of Education: http://www.ed.gov/blog/2012/02/duncan-schools-on-the-court/
- The Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/04/28/for-the-first-time-the-u-s-high-school-graduation-rate-tops-80-percent-report-finds/
- Center for Research on the Education of Students Placed At Risk: http://www.csos.jhu.edu/crespar/techReports/Report70.pdf
- SFGate.com: http://blog.sfgate.com/inoakland/2013/04/12/graduation-rate-of-students-in-ousd-high-schools-improves/
- Chicago Tribune: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-04-25/opinion/ct-dropout-crisis-chicago-solution-perspec-0425-20140425_1_school-graduation-graduation-rate-new-heights
- Detroit Public Schools: http://detroitk12.org/schools/reports/2012-2013_annual_education_report/82010.pdf
- Philadelphia Public Schools Notebook: http://thenotebook.org/blog/146839/some-improvement-district-graduation-rate-2013
- The Wall Street Journal: http://online.wsj.com/articles/new-york-high-school-graduation-rates-inch-up-1403572053
- Hartford Courant: http://articles.courant.com/2014-05-15/community/hc-high-school-graduation-rates-0515-20140514_1_graduation-rate-hartford-public-high-culinary-arts-academy
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t04.htm
- San Jose Mercury News: http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_25771303/schools-v-prisons-educations-way-cut-prison-population
- PBS: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/tsr/education-under-arrest/fact-sheet-drop-out-rates-of-african-american-boys/
- Northeastern University: http://www.northeastern.edu/clms/wp-content/uploads/The_Consequences_of_Dropping_Out_of_High_School.pdf
Posted September 11, 2014 in News by buildOn