Vigararon: A Traditional Meal from Granada, Nicaragua
Recipe by Danilo Llanes G., buildOn’s Trek Coordinator, Nicaragua
I would like to share a recipe for a Nicaraguan typical meal called vigoron. It’s a delicious and easy to prepare. Vigoron is very popular in the small communities located in the north of Nicaragua, and it’s commonly found in one of the oldest cities of Central America: Granada. The people from Granada say that if you go to their city and don’t try their vigoron it’s because you are not a real Nicaraguan.
- pork rinds
- Banana leaves
1. Make a salad using the cabbage, tomatoes. You might want to add a little bit of salt and lemon. Some people use hot peppers to add a little more flavor to the pork rinds.
2. Peal the yucca, and then you boil it until it is soft.
3. Cut the yucca in small pieces. Do the same thing with the pork rinds.
4. Mix the salad with the yucca and the pork rinds.
5. Serve it in a banana leaf, and then you enjoy it!