We Bring Service-Learning Curriculum to the Classroom!
We strive to help students bridge the gap between academic knowledge and real-life implementation and use service-learning to do so. Through our in-classes, we empower students to be more civically engaged and leverage their unique leadership qualities to be the change they want to see in their communities.
A Message to Our Educators and Administrators
Thank You. It is due to your grit, compassion, and endless support that our students have been able to get through this difficult transition to virtual learning.
Now, let us be there to support you! At buildOn, we offer social-justice themed service-learning in-class workshops that drive common core standards and further social-emotional learning. Each session is fully adaptable to complement the needs of your classroom and is facilitated by our experienced Engagement Specialists.
Our Service Themes at a Glance
- Access to education
- Gender Equality
- Elderly Support
- Healthcare + Disease Awareness
- United Nations Sustainable Devleopment Goals
And so much more! Our service themes are constantly expanding to fit the scope and breathe of our student’s interests.
Benefits to Collaborating with buildOn
Benefits to Teachers
- Strengthen Student + Teacher Relationships—Participating in service together brings an interesting twist to the day-to-day structure of distance learning and is an opportunity to build relationships through acts of solidarity.
- Real-World Connection — Service learning allows students to apply what they’ve learned in your classroom to the communities they live in by thinking deeply about systemic issues and how service can be used to begin the mitigation process.
- Common Core Standards — Our curriculum makes explicit connections to common core standards. Therefore, you never have to worry about fitting it into your lesson plan.
- Flexible — You tell us how much time you have or what you hope your students will gain from the session and we will modify our lessons to meet those needs!
- Free — Participating in a buildOn in-class comes with absolutely no cost to teachers, students, or the school!
Our Service-Learning Currirulum at a Glance
Download a Sample Lesson
Want a sneak peek at one of our lessons? Download a sample curriculum that walks you through the service-learning activities, learning objectives, social-emotional connections, and common core connections.Download Here
See What Teachers Are Saying
“When I came to the Bronx School for Law, Government, and Justice, I was fortunate enough to be exposed to buildOn and I was just like, wow, this is what education should be about. After No Child Left Behind, everything was about tests, tests, tests. And that’s not education. Teaching a kid how to solve for X is part of an education, but so is having them explore questions like, “Who are you? What are your values? Why are those your values?” They’re an important part of education that’s left out of the equation all too often.”
“buildOn in-class service is a great way to break up your day. The buildOn team is able to do activities that the students can relate to. It doesn’t go over their head. And then they realize at the end, “Okay, this is service.”
“Sometimes it’s hard for students to see themselves outside of a situation that they are in. Sometimes your dreams feel a little diminished, dreams feel limited. And it’s really great when you bounce into something like buildOn where you can go to a different country or you can have a completely new experience. It allows dreams to open up.”